IGCSE – Curriculum
Our world has turned into a global village.
Where poles are just a click apart!
DPS Bangalore North celebrates the diversity and uniqueness of each child and gives paramount importance to cater to the needs of everyone. In its endeavour to ignite the spark of creativity and innovation in the young minds, it has added one more chapter to its saga of success by introducing Cambridge Curriculum. It is a flexible and diverse curriculum, providing over 70 subject combinations for the students to choose from. As this edifice is built on ‘Research an Our world has turned into a global village Where poles are just a click apart!
DPS Bangalore North celebrates the diversity and uniqueness of each child and gives paramount importance to cater to the needs of everyone. In its endeavour to ignite the spark of creativity and innovation in the young minds, it has added one more chapter to its saga of success by introducing the International curriculum administered by the Cambridge International Examinations.
Cambridge Assessment International Examinations is a part of the world-renowned University of Cambridge, U.K. and is among the world’s leading providers of International qualifications and assessments. The IGCSE, AS and A level certification given by Cambridge Curriculum is recognised by leading universities and employers worldwide, and is an international passport to progression and success. Developed over 25 years ago, it is tried, tested and trusted by schools worldwide. While the Programme is international in outlook, it very much retains local relevance. The holistic and experiential nature of learning balances knowledge, understanding and skills, and ensures that students are well-prepared for other pre-university programmes as well. As this edifice is built on ‘Research andReference’ work, undoubtedly, it is going to cater to the 21st century learning.
Cambridge Programmes and qualifications
Cambridge international education programmes and qualifications lead seamlessly from primary through to secondary and pre-university years in four levels. DPS Bangalore north is Offering first three levels of Cambridge Primary catering to grade 1 to grade 5 and Cambridge lower secondary 1 catering to grade 6 up to grade 8.
Cambridge Primary is an education programme for young learners that combine a world-class curriculum, high-quality support for teachers and integrated assessment.This is a transdisciplinary programme which focuses on developing the whole child. Students from grade 1 to 5 learn through examining units which are delivered by both classroom teachers and subject specialists. In the primary school, we have specialist teachers of art& craft, music, dance, and PE. Dance, music, drama, art and experiential learning are not regarded as “extra” curricular at all but an essential part of learning.
The subjects offered for Cambridge Primary Program for academic year 2018-19 are as follows;
- 1st Language: English
- 2nd Language: Hindi/French/German (any one)
- ICT, Art& Craft, Music, Dance, , Life Skills
- Yoga, Swimming, Tennis, Gymnastics, Physical Education
Cambridge Primary checkpoint
Cambridge Primary assessments start from Grade 3 and use internationally benchmarked tests. They give a detailed feedback about a child’s cognitive capabilities.
There are two Assessment Methodologies:
- Cambridge Primary Progression Tests (Marked by School).
Cambridge Primary Progression Tests provide valid internal assessment of knowledge, skills and understanding in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies and Second language. The tests enable learning to be assessed each year, provide detailed information about the performance of each learner for stages 3, 4 and 5.
- The students of Grade 5 will take the Cambridge Primary Checkpoint Exam.
(Marked by Cambridge Examiners)
The English, Math and Science tests are marked in Cambridge and provide schools with an external international benchmark for learner performance.
Cambridge Lower Secondary
DPS Bangalore North follows the Cambridge lower secondar curriculum in the middle school (grade 6 to 8) Students in grade 8 take the Cambridge Lower Secondary Checkpoint exam. These tests are used to monitor learners’ readiness for the next stage of education. It also provides an excellent foundation for Cambridge IGCSE. Each curriculum framework is designed to engage learners in an active and creative learning journey.
The students of grade 6 and 7 have internal exams based on the Cambridge lower secondary curriculum. Students also write the Cambridge Checkpoint to assess learning in English, Mathematics and Science at the end of grade 8.
The subjects offered for Cambridge secondary Programme for academic year 2017-18 are as follows;
- 1stLanguage: English
- 2nd Language: Hindi/French/German(any one)
- ICT, BI-Box, Global Perspective
- Yoga, Swimming, Tennis, Gymnastics, Physical Education
Grading and assessment
The Cambridge IGCSE is reported on a grade scale from A* (highest) to G (minimum required performance). Assessment takes place at the end of the course and provides different options that best suit students, including written and oral examinations, coursework and practical assessment.
Percentage Uniform Mark
The Percentage Uniform Mark (PUM) is a numerical mark provided for some countries alongside grades for each subject. It transfers a candidate’s results to a common scale which reports how well they performed within that grade. For example if a candidate achieves a PUM of 79 then they have achieved a score at the top end of a B grade.
International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE)
- The International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) is a comprehensive two-year programme, spread over Class 9 and 10, leading to the final examinations taken at the Class 10 level.
- It is a globally recognized qualification, similar to the Class 10 examinations of the SSC, ICSE, CBSE, British GCSE, International GCE O Level examinations or the Middle Years Programme of the IB.
- All Indian Boards and Universities accept IGCSE as equivalent to SSC/ICSE/CBSE.
- A student who has passed IGCSE is eligible for any 10+2 level qualification like: Local Boards -Class 12 CBSE/ ISC /HSC. Or International pre-university programs like IBDP and AS/A levels(UK).
Subjects in the IGCSE Curriculum
There are five Subject Groups in IGCSE with several subjects to choose from, in each group.The first steps towards a successful career begins with a careful selection of subjects that suit a student’s aptitude and interest in Years 9 and Year 10.
- Minimum of five subjects need to be chosen for IGCSE including English, English Literature, Maths, one science subject, one social science subject or a group 5 subject.
- Minimum of seven subjects with one subject in each group(1-5) is needed to be registered for the ICE (International Certificate of Education) qualification
- Maximum of ten subjects may be chosen in total
- Coordinated Science results in double award hence it counts as two subjects for Cambridge ICE
- For each subject, the certificate merely indicates the grades scored, and not pass or fail.
- Five scores of ‘C’ or higher indicates a student’s readiness to pursue +2 level qualifications, like the Class 12 CBSE, IB Diploma, Advanced Placement Diploma (US), etc.